Although summer is always a great time for adventures, I can’t help but be excited for September and the arrival of Fall. Here in Maryland, Fall is a beautiful season when the humidity finally goes back to Hades where it belongs & the leaves change into all sorts of colors. One of my most beloved September pastimes is picnicking because it involves two of my favorite things- sitting & eating. As I was in the store this week I started mentally checking off what items I would include in my ideal picnic basket. Here’s a little description that will hopefully give you all some delicious picnic ideas of your own!
- First on my list would of course be the cheese. I try to keep it simple, picking just a few cheeses with a variety of characteristics & flavors. One of my favorite picnic cheeses is definitely Cabot Clothbound. A clothbound cheddar made by Cabot and aged by Jasper Hill with a fresh, grassy flavor. And of course, I must have a blue. Caveman Blue from Rogue Creamery is a great option- creamy with mild intensity and a delicious toasty flavor.
- Then, of course, the cheese must go on top of something. For my picnic I would bring The Fine Cheese Co’s Natural Crackers. These crackers are buttery with a hint of salt- perfect for complimenting the flavors of a cheese without overwhelming it.
- And to eat alongside of the cheese, I would most definitely pick Charlito’s Cocina Black Truffle Salami. The first time I ever tasted this salami, I couldn’t stop thinking about it for weeks. Rich, chewy texture with a strong earthiness from the truffles. Simple, high quality ingredients = delicious & addictive.
- And if you’re anything like me, you can’t imagine having a meal without dessert. For a sweet finish, I would pick a bar from Zoe’s Chocolates (locally made!). Her Sports Bar is mixed with caramelized rice crisps & roasted peanuts- yet another great salty/sweet treat.
- Throw in some dried apricots & pistachios, and you have yourself one delicious picnic! The Wine Source is practically bursting with other items perfect for an outdoor meal, so be sure to check out everything we have to offer for your own perfect picnic.